The Paris Metro is the second busiest metro system in Europe, second only to Moscow’s metro system. In 2015, 1.52 BILLION passengers rode on the Paris Metro system, but no one got off at this station.
Construction began on the metro system in November 1898. The first line, Porte Maillot–Porte de Vincennes, was inaugurated on July 19th, 1900, during the Paris World’s Fair. Through the years, and through the world wars, not all stations survived. These stations, no longer in use, are now referred to as the “Ghost Stations.” One such ghost station is the Saint-Martin station, located on lines 8 and 9 between the stations of Strasbourg – Saint-Denis and République, on the border of the 3rd and 10th arrondissements of Paris.
This station closed on September 2nd, 1939 at the start of World War II. The Nazis ruled over Paris beginning in June 1940. After France was liberated from the Nazis in August 1944, Saint-Martin station was reopened to traffic. It didn’t last much longer due to its proximity to the Strasbourg – Saint-Denis station, only 100 meters away. It was deemed unnecessary and once again closed. It remains closed to this day.
The entrance to the Saint-Martin station is still visible from the street. From the Strasbourg-Saint-Denis station head east on Saint-Martin Boulevard, walking towards République. The entrance is on the right-hand side of the street, in a sunken part of the sidewalk, covered in graffiti.
Over the years artists and the homeless have accessed this station for shelter and as a space to create art. Original pre-WWII posters and advertisements still hang on the walls along the tracks today.